Calibrating the U2413

Last December (2014) my big 24-inch monitor croaked, and I purchased a replacement – the Dell U2413. Same dimensions, noticeably lighter, soundbar still fits fine, LED backlight… and capable of 30-bit color when driven by a card and software compatible with the ‘standard.’

I have the card – AMD FirePro V5700 – and Photoshop and a couple of other packages of sufficient currency to make it work. And so I went forward into the brave new world.

But I kept calibrating using my venerable DataColor Spyder 3… until one day I noticed that I couldn’t differentiate all the blocks on a grayscale test strip. Oh dear, whatever is the problem?

The Spyder is one part – it operates only on 8-bit/channel color and modifies the tables in the graphics card… but the U2413 has hardware support for LUT (look-up tables, used for color matching). Hmm. Need a new colorimeter – and the only one supported is the X-Rite i-1 Display Pro. Ok – start watching for a deal, found it heavily discounted, got it. Downloaded the software from Dell, fired it up, and…

It couldn’t find the i-1. Ok, back to X-Rite, get a new driver, yep, finds the i-1. But it can’t find the monitor. In order to reprogram the hardware LUTs on the monitor, the software needs to be able to talk to the microprocessor in the monitor – via the USB port. More time browsing, finally I decide it’s time to upgrade the USB 3 hardware, so I get the top-rated card from Amazon, put it in… and still the problem persists.

Much gnashing of teeth later, having read a few hundred messages on Dell’s various forums, I run across a note about the card-reader that’s embedded in the side of the monitor. One user says the reader software driver must be installed for the calibration to work, so I go through that exercise, and… no joy. Then I put my SDHC test card back in the reader to make sure the reader is working ok (it is), and then bring up the calibration software again – and it works!

So at least if you have the A01 variant of this monitor, always calibrate with an SD card in the reader.

Now back to [re-]adjusting photos. I think I understand much more about my [perceived] print mis-match issues.

It’s 3 AM…

…and I’m wide awake, with a miasma of dread, wondering what changed.

Let’s see – lights are working. Water heater didn’t burst; in fact all the plumbing seems intact. Heat’s still on, and the refrigerator is humming away. Stumble upstairs to the office, and it hits me – it’s quiet.

Too quiet.

Yep, the big system is down. Won’t power up, completely cold to the touch. Oh dear… and back to bed (not going to get fixed at 3:15 AM).

When next I check (after the necessary caffeine absorption), ’tis obvious the power supply is no longer supplying. I look online for clues and find the brand I had is no more; lost to bankruptcy due to poor quality control. Oops. No panic, because everything is backed up, but I have to wait for a store to open before getting a replacement.

Late afternoon and it’s tear the old p/s out, put the new one in, better wiring harness so there’s less clutter in the case. Plug it all up, hit the switch – and we’re back.

Hoping for a full night’s sleep tonight.